I’m still on hold for mounting the engine while I’m waiting for my fuel pump to show up so I decided to move to the other end of the airplane. I drilled the holes for the instruments and switches in the instrument pod. Tom Connelly gave me a panel template on a sheet of paper. When I looked at it though, the holes didn’t quite look right. Then I realized it was a mirror image of what the layout was supposed to be. I turned the sheet around and traced the cutouts on the opposite side and then things lined up right. I taped the template to the instrument pod and started drilling. A step drill took care of most of the holes. I had some 2 inch hole saws left over from my other airplane projects. I selected the least ratty one and cut out the holes for the engine gauges. The tachometer is just taped in place for now. I couldn’t find the screws for it so I may just pick some up at the hardware store.
Here is today’s progress…
This is the original template. I had to flip it over and trace out the cut outs on the opposite side. The template as-is is a flipped, mirror image of what the template should be.
Here is the finished product. The tach is just taped in place for now. Everything else is mounted.